Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Faces and Places

Maybe we have been cooped up in the house too long because of all this winter weather.  Maybe it is the seed that H repeatedly tries to plant in my head about TD branching out her set of friends.  Whatever it was, we took a trip just down the road to new horizons this week. 

We went to a group play date.  Did your hand just fly to your mouth as you gasped in shock?  I know.  I broke our ridiculous and now monotanous routine of work, gym, school, work/play, neighborhood play, dinner, bed.  Wake up and do it all again. Gag, snore. 

I don't know why it takes me so long to do these things.  I don't know why I don't schedule them myself. Oh right (smacks forehead) I hate entertaining.  That's why.  Hives. Hives! There would be hives.  I swear if you left me alone long enough I would turn inward and probably grow a crusty shell like a hermit crab.  You would find me talking to myself or a wall in a very animated conversation and eating cold soup out of can.  I would be pretty content for a while too as long as I got to yell at the neighbors every few days ("Get a haircut!") and you kept me stocked with Bloody Mary mix.

Unlike most days where we have a ton of things scheduled I woke up this morning excited. I was excited about the possibilities of new friendships for TD as well as for myself.  I love my neigbhorhood dearly but in the last few weeks it has become rather stale.  I was about to stage at re-enactment from 'Escape from Alcatraz' any day now and I needed off our own 'rock', er, frozen tundra and off into someone else's cozy home.  Judging by the happy smiles, quiet house we later came home to and content feeling we all seem to now have, I would say the kids needed it just as badly as I did.  Being in someone else's home and talking to other mothers was like a breath of fresh spring air.  Immediately my creativity flared and my branching out made me feel that the buds on the trees aren't too far off.  When one little girl told me, "TD is welcome to play at my house anytime!" I beamed and not just for TD.  I welcome the new friendships for me too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.