Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The Difference Between You and Me

H and I were laying in bed the other night dissecting our weekend when we simultaneously said, "We're so lucky." We agreed that we are lucky to have a roof over our heads, jobs we love, our health and that of our children, friends and family. Life is being pretty good to us right now.

Then I said, "But for how long can that last?" H replied, "Well..forever."

A few seconds full of silenced ticked and then I uttered with a quiet chuckle, "And, that is the difference between you and me."

That one, short conversation sums up the very differences that H and I share. He, ever the optimist, doesn't see the world in the cynical way that I often do. I am a planner who likes to see what is coming. I don't want to assume anything or take it for granted. I think the good has to be fleeting no matter how long it lasts and then it will followed by something incredibly bumpy and torturous that I'll have to weather through either on my own or with my family. I certainly do not wear rose-colored glasses.

Nothing riles me up more than complacency. Like any good Hitchcock film watcher knows it is when you become complacent that you fall down the rabbit hole. No one wants a crop duster on their ass no matter what kind of day they are having. If H were complacent it would have been a deal-breaker. It is this difference though that often makes us work well as a couple (Go Team Mason! Heh.) and in turn has created some of this so-called luck. Besides, every Walter Mattheau needs a Jack Lemon.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:48 PM

    I don't think it's being cynical to understand that things don't stay the same. This is life - bad things happen and end, good things happen and end. I hear that in yoga repeatedly. When we are doing a pose and everything is burning the instructor reminds "This pose will end, just like the bad and good in life will end. Everyting passes. Everything is temporary."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think enjoying the good times is necessarily complacency. We work hard to keep things good, knowing that there will be bumps that are less good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.