Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Letter to My Mother

Dear Mom,

I suppose, it being Mother’s Day and all, I could have bought you a nice flowery, probably pink card from Hallmark or American Greetings and that would have sufficed. Except that while those cards all say wonderful and true things sometimes only a letter will do. So here you go- a nice sappy, heartfelt THANK YOU, just for you this Mother’s Day.

Thank you for all that you have done for me this year whether it was coming to take care of me in my time of need, when life got too crazy and I simply needed my mother or when a beautiful deck just needed to be built. My yard is forever changed and it just goes to show that you do in fact, always need your Mom no matter how old you are.

Thank you for teaching me grace and manners. In this world today, they sometimes seem antiquated or quaint but they are in fact, invaluable. Because of you, I do not lick my fingers. I know where a napkin goes at all times and I can walk with my head held high safe in the knowledge that I know how to write a proper thank you note and so much more.

Thank you for being a role model all throughout my life. While we may not always agree or take on life’s challenges in quite the same way your guidance, advice and mentoring has enabled me to pick myself up and find my own inner strengths. Through your words, hugs and more I know my talents as well as how to trust and follow my instincts.

Thank you for the friendship that has endured and only become stronger as I have grown from a child to a woman and a mother. You are always there in the good times and the bad, you rarely judge and when you do it is because frankly, I am probably making it hard not to. You are one of the best people I know to talk to and it is why I still cherish our weekly phone calls after all these years.

Thank you for showing me the first signs of love, how to love, to let go and what being a good partner and friend really means. I love you and Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!!!

Love, Vicky

XXOO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.