Friday, September 18, 2009

Overheards- The Earth Doctor

Scene: TD and I are headed out the door. As we climb into the car TD spies a displaced plastic container lying in the grass nearby. It is filled with trash despite being casserole size.

TD: "Momma? Why is that plastic container lying over there? What is it doing? Is it trash?" She says as she climbs into her car seat.

V: "Yes, it is trash. I don't know why it's there, but it shouldn't be." I say, reaching for her safety belts and fastening them.

TD: "Why? Because it will hurt the earth?" She looks perplexed.

V: "Yes, trash does hurt the earth. Very good!" I am a bit stunned but beaming and proud.

TD: "Momma, when I grow up I am going to be a trash doctor so that the earth won't be hurt." She sits back in her car seat, satisfied with this proclamation.

Ugh. My heart seized then melted when I heard those words. Her face, so serious and solemn, it broke me. I just squeezed her tight and said, "That is a great idea. The earth needs a doctor just like you."

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.