Monday, May 04, 2009

Rednecks vs. White Trash?

The other night while awaiting the opening act at the DC Improv H and I got into the discussion, "Is there a difference between being a Redneck and being White Trash?"

Initially, I thought no. I'm a Yankee with a side of WASP thrown in for good measure so what do I know? I don't talk through my jaw or anything but I've been known to get all in your face in the nicest most conflict-free, passive aggressive way about manners, the importance of thank you notes and general day to day etiquette.

H, who admits to having a nice chunk of Redneck in him (the man cleaned his shot gun twice this week.) says White Trash can technically be anywhere location-wise (W.T. goes global!) but Rednecks are typically a southern only thing. White Trash constitutes a lack of manners and is prone to fighting. So wait, what was the movie Road House about then?

So you tell me? Are all Rednecks about Nascar, gun racks and hunting? Does all White Trash live in trailers like we often hear in jokes? Am I perpetuating a stereotype and really pissing you off?


Win a cute reusable shopping bag! Sure! Why not- they're global now too! I'm giving one away this week at MPR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.