Friday, February 13, 2009

Close to Me

"Momma, can I sit next to you while you eat breakfast?"

I hear this almost every morning. There is much chair scraping as she drags her kitchen chair right up next to mine.

After a few moments she asks, "Momma, can I sit in your lap while you eat your breakfast?" Her big brown eyes look up at me with a quiet excitement I can't remember ever possessing. After placing her on my lap she pauses and then burrows into me, compacting herself into a tiny ball. She squirms as if she is looking for a spot that will position her even closer to me.
These days it is never close enough. If she could I imagine she would soon ask, "Momma, can I carve you open and crawl back inside?"

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Enjoy it. Soon she'll be telling you to drop her off a block away and calling you "woman" instead of "Mom". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. She loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really sweet...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.