Wednesday, March 19, 2008

New Experiences with a Toddler-#41

The annual exam at the OB-GYN.

That's right. I took T.D. with me yesterday never giving it a second thought that the last time she went was in her carrier at that lovely 6-week post-partum check-up. She was angelic and sweet. She was asleep.

This time?

We packed toys, books, toys that needed to be reviewed and lots of praying to the toddler good behavior gods. Please let her not touch anything icky, specimen-oriented or longer than the average-sized q-tip. Please.

We had a narrow miss in the bathroom when she discovered the fun little cabinet that people leave their urine samples in. Just as I was washing my hands I saw from the corner of my eye her little fingers opening the door and reaching in. "NO!", I yelled. I think the waiting room and the office next door to the OB-GYN heard me. Her fingers flinched back and almost tipped the cup of very yellow urine. That would have been fun to explain. And clean.

Next, we waited. And waited. Me in my salmon colored gown. T.D. on the blue chair, next to the brown door and near the pink wall. We did colors to pass the time. We looked at anatomically correct statues and I tried in vain to get her to play with her cellphone and MP-3 player. No dice. It was all let me get my hands on the K-Y and extra long q-tips please! When the doctor came in and I went up, in stirrups that is, T.D. was all eyes. The answer would be, no. No, I did not consider this most important aspect of the visit. Or a toddlers innate curiosity. Behind the sheet she went right along with the doc. Every once in a while she would peer out at me with wide eyes. It is still too early to know if I scarred her for life. She was fascinated and the doctor gave her a blow by blow of everything that was happening to Mommy at the time. She may be a doctor yet!

When it was all over? T.D. got a snack pack of Chex Mix and I was left with the co-pay and a wad of tissues.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Too funny. I had to bring my 2 year to the OB-GYN when she was almost a year old. She taught me a lesson (never to bring her again). At that point, I left her in infant car seat (she still fit in it) & the Snugrider stroller. when I had to go to the bathroom, i left her in the car seat in the room since i thought it be a quick trip (mistake #1). She screamed & yelled the entire time I was in the bathroom. Then I had to get her out of the car seat (mistake # two). Then i couldn't get her back in once the doctor came in. I can't imagine bringing her in now at age two--you are brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, V. Just wow. I can't believe you took her!!!! Or let her look!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a pretty funny experience you just painted. I suppose at least she wasn't getting into drawers and things she shouldn't while you were in the stirrups...that would have been difficult to stop that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good little girl? I won't even tell you about some of my doctor visits with my kids. Mine like to ride around on the rolling chair and scream 'woo hoo.' But their favorite is to watch them draw blood from me. Such weirdos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good little girl? I won't even tell you about some of my doctor visits with my kids. Mine like to ride around on the rolling chair and scream 'woo hoo.' But their favorite is to watch them draw blood from me. Such weirdos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On one memorable OB visit my daughter fell off the rolling stool just as the doc walked in and she had to do the whole exam while I held the sobbing child against my chest. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.