Tuesday, February 05, 2008

It's Time!

There's something new on this site. It went up yesterday. Do you know what it is?

That's right! It's the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer button. Go ahead click it. You know you want to. I'm doing the walk again this year. It is a bit late in the game (less than 90 days to raise $1800!) and I'm- OK let's face it, I'm scared to death this year that I won't make it and raise the needed amount. This is the first year I feel this fear too. Especially when I realized yesterday that my old website from last year is the one that got circulated to donors in an email showing I have over 100% already raised. Greaaatt.

I keep telling myself though that I don't do the walk to fret about raising the money. I sign up each year because I have to. I feel compelled to do so. I can't let a year go by without doing it. There are still family members and friends, mother's of my friends, teammates and co-workers who need my support. There are strangers living right in this area who need the support, medical treatment and screenings that the Avon Foundation provides. These people are fighters. They are survivors. I walk for them. I walk because I know too many people whose lives have been forever changed by this disease and it just keeps adding up. I need to do my part no matter how small.

This year just when I was feeling like maybe I had run out of time to adequately fundraise I met Susan through DC Metro Moms. I began to read her blog, ToddlerPlanet,and all over again I knew that the walk was on. I had to do it. Susan's optimistic spirit and smiling face was the push I needed to take on another year of training in the rain, the cold, to asking (alright begging sometimes) everyone I know (strangers too!) to donate to this cause (no amount is too small!). If you don't believe me you'll soon see me standing outside of a Wal-mart near you selling baked goods. Yes, folks, I will stand there with my pink ribbons, my AWBC sign, freezin' my toukas off on early Sunday mornings to raise the money that results in thousands getting proper treatments. Treatment they otherwise might not be able to afford.

So check out the link to my website. Learn about the walk. I'll keep you posted on my training (it is 26.2 miles after all) and my fundraising. If you feel compelled to donate I THANK YOU in advance and again later! Trust me, you are supporting an amazing cause that helps so many.

See what friends and bloggers can do when they get together below:

1 comment:

  1. I hope you reach your goal!!! We didn't reach ours with the March of Dimes WalkAmerica, and I felt so bad!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.