Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Jingle, Jingle, It's a Holiday Meme!

Welcome to the "Holiday Edition" of getting to know your friends. Or basically wasting time at the office/online because you have some article you are supposed to be writing but you are a bit freaked out by it and it's lack of deadline so you do banal and incredibly cheesy things like this instead...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Ooh we are starting off with a real stimulating one aren't we? I say, and I'm getting crazy here, both! And I do recycle.


2. Tree--Real or Artificial? Real. I grow them in my back yard. Each year I replant the same tree and then mercilessly cut it down again. Do you believe that?


3. When do you put the Christmas tree up? Me? Well, I would like to do it right after Thanksgiving, but there is this pesky 'no sooner than December' rule that has been instituted in our house. If I had my way we would be singing carols on the way down to grandma's. I would have already finished shopping by August. Oh wait. I already do that...


4. When do you take the tree down? Growing up it was after the Epiphany (January 6th) but now? Whenever. Whenever H begins to twitch each time he sees the tree as compared to the amount of pine needles that have fallen onto the living room floor.


5. Like egg nog? Yack. No! It reminds me of something that comes only from boys. Blech. Or phlegm.


6. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes. Two, one sadly cutesy one that never fits in our home but I can't bring myself to break tradition and leave it in the box. Now T.D. likes to hide the baby lamb because it's just so darn cute and I fear I will find pieces of it's ceramic head behind the furniture for years to come. The other is glass and sits high on a shelf. Away from small, prying hands and those who want to see my lack of dusting skills.

7 . Hardest person to buy for? Dom. I have a million ideas, I have no ideas. I buy so early and then never know what I actually bought. He ends up with items like fuzzy sock slippers one year with gum and a big screen TV the next. Since that TV? I've never been able to compete again. I put myself out of the game.


8. Tinsel or Garland on the tree? We've had this discussion. We've heard the story. Gold Tinsel. Tinsel that is gold and looks like a cat hacked it up on the tree.


9. Worst Christmas gift - Stuff. You know those items that people buy for who knows what reason but you never use them and then you re-gift them to your own family only to be told it has your initials on it? Uh yeah... No more lipstick cases, compacts and generally things that weigh 8 lbs but fit in the palm of my hand and should fit conveniently in my purse.

10. Mail or email a Christmas Card? Both. I know I'm crazy. This year we did the "we'll NEVER do that!" photo card. I feel like such a suburban loser.


11. Favorite Christmas movie? OK I'll be serious a moment. Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Home Alone. Nothing says the holiday's to me more than screaming puppets and screaming kids.


12. When do you start shopping for Christmas? August. And that it me controlling myself. I start making lists of ideas in secret places in May. It's a sickness really.


13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Heehheehh nooo. Yes! See #9. Plus all those wives coffees from the military? Oh yeah those gifts got recycled. Recycled right into the Good Will bag. Do I look like I like pink plates with girls in fluffy dresses on them? OK maybe I do, but damn I hate crap like that.

14. Favorite food to eat on Christmas? Certainly not Yule cake. Though each year I promise to make one. Then I get freaked out by the rolling of the cake and I panic and make something else. There is no favorite food for Christmas though as each year it's different. H and I have started a Christmas day tradition right out of 'A Christmas Story'. We eat Chinese. It's Awesome!


15. Colored or clear lights? Seriously? Why do you need this information? How many more questions are there? OK. I'm a total snob about this. White lights. Must be white lights. This year I released my iron claw grip on this and we have strands of those GIANT colored bulbs on our back deck. It's sort of fiesta like out there and I kind of dig it.

16. Favorite Christmas Song? The Paul McCartney junkie in me loves, Wonderful Christmastime. Jingle Bell Rock and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree come in a close second.

17. Travel during Christmas or stay home? Staying home!!! Which also means I will be cooking three separate meals as people begin coming to us starting this weekend. It's a Catch-22.

18. Can you name Santa's reindeer's? Ugly, Afraid of heights, Air Pee'r, The one with "issues", and Flopsy? Oh. Right. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph

19. Star or Angel on tree top? a Stah. A big gold thing that was a Wal-Mart special. H and I bought it on first Christmas where we just shoved things in the cart including the tree (deserts do not have Christmas trees) and this star is plastic and gaudy. I love it!

20. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? One on Christmas Eve and the rest in the morning. You know when we all look like hell had it's way with us the night before and that is when we take those cherished photos that last FOR-EVERRRR.

2 1 . Most annoying thing about this time of year? Oh too long to list if I wanted to get all Christmas Bitch on you. Or holiday memes and the fact that I'm now going to tag a bunch of people!

Tag! You are now IT! Stephanie! (Nyah, nyah!) Lauren you may not like it but geez girl, you need to update that blog, Radioactive Girl (Welcome!), and anyone else who wants to do this meme in an attempt to procrastinate! Send me a link and I'll put it up here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I don't have time for Christmas. But I'll give it a shot later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.