Friday, November 23, 2007

Because Really? It's Not About the Turkey

The parade is over. The turkey is done. All the leftovers have already been used to make late night snacks and the wine bottles are empty and in the recycling bins. Done. Thanksgiving is officially over.

Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday with all its food and trimmings goes so quickly. The prep work, the arrival of guests, family photos and side conversations are all just moments that lead up to the big meal. This year dinner seemed to go by so fast. Before I knew it my plate was empty and my stomach was sufficiently stuffed. As I looked around the table I smiled and thought it really is all about family. That is why I love this holiday so much. I love the smiles, laughs and even the ultra competetive game of Spoons.

The time I spent alone with H's grandmother making cream puffs was more than just two women trying to overpower one long recipe. It is a time I will remember and am so glad I had a chance to partake in. That and cream puffs are exactly that. Puffs. And I? Kicked some cream puff ass!

The announcement from my brother-in-law that I would soon have a sister-in-law, my first, is one that made the day even more special and memorable. I totally called it by the way. I knew it would be announced this weekend. We are all so happy to have her be a part of our family. I cannot wait to find out more about her and hopefully find a new friend.

So aside from the classic moments that make up so many holiday movies (my mother snorting when I took another drink, some non-pc comments that circulated throughout the day, and the general funny cuteness that only comes from toddlers) it was a rather perfect Thanksgiving. The sunny almost 80 degree temperature only enhanced it.

Black Friday for me isn't one of mass sprees or early wake ups but a good time to reflect on the time we spent together as a family. A family that I feel so blessed to be a part of.

And there's your monthly dose of sap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.