Thursday, October 11, 2007

Finally!


It is Fall! Finally! I feel like strains of Etta James's 'At Last' should be playing in the background. The wind is up, the air cool and crisp, and the red crayon marks on the windows now feel adequately festive and in season. The dog is giving me the stink eye for letting her outside without informing her first of the temperature change.

It's Fall! My favorite time of year. To be a cliche of a blogger I will now wax poetic or something akin to that about the wonders and beauty of Fall. Always with a capital 'F' in my book.

The light changes this time of year. There is a golden quality about it that happens around three o'clock. What E and I used to refer to as "K-mart lighting" as it feels like you got in on special. It's not as powerful as summer sunlight. My run feels more relaxing without the relentless sun beating down on me. Cool breezes propel me along as I crunch through the leaves taking in the brilliant colors and decorated doors and stoops along my way.

It's time to break out the jeans and sweaters that have been tucked away in tissue all summer long. Boots are taken lovingly out of their shoe boxes and darker nail polish is applied with finesse. Fall. I am in love with you. October is my favorite month. The trio of red, yellow and orange are the best of the color bunch. I want to wrap straw around my lamppost and hang a wreath full of leaves from my front door. Pumpkins glisten with morning frost on my front step and Halloween will be here before we know it.

To think it was 80 degrees only yesterday and I was bitchin' about tank tops. I know that with the rains of November which seem exciting now I will be yearning for those same tired tanks as the weather turns to winter. For now I will relish pumpkin treats, golden colors, and fall's great wealth of beauty. Take a walk today and really see the season around you.

So there you go. A nice sappy little post for you today. My teeth are aching from the sweetness. Guess I won't be needing that extra helping of candy corn now.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:06 AM

    I feel ya! I LOVE the Fall! Although it's just not the same living somewhere where it's always hot and humid year-round. Oh, you're making me homesick! BTW, beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love fall too! As much as I complain every year (around March)about how cold it is and how much I want summer, by the end of summer, I love it when it starts to get cool again. We had a mini heat wave up here in New England last week, and it so frustrated me. Yes, finally, it's time to bring out the cool-weather gear again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might have sent way to many comments to your blog. Long story. So sorry for any extra work I just sent you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.