Thursday, August 09, 2007

So what are WE doing?

Yesterday's post about the myth vs. the reality brought up some interesting questions from myself and from some readers. American women have it better than we think, but our work is far from over. The system is old, it's not working, and we need to tweak it and in some cases give it a massive overhaul.

So what is an already busy working and not working woman/mother to do? Well, I don't have all the answers but I do feel pretty strongly about the fact that years ago our mothers really broke through the proverbial glass ceiling and are the ones who started things like flex time, shared work schedules, daycare centers in the office and such. I look at that and I think, "well, what have I done?" I've just taken as much as I could from the whole thing and haven't offered anything new. That my friend is not right and part of the problem in itself.

I joined MomsRising for one. If you haven't heard of it, it is a great grassroots campaign focusing on all the important issues of the day for families and women, whether you have kids or not. Through it some great discussions have started as well as local campaigns where you can see work being done on a small and large scale. I'm talking legistlative action here people. Check this organization out. It's everywhere! I for one always feel slightly more accomplished after completing even the smallest task with them.

Start a discussion at work and join forces with the other women and men to establish whatever it is you feel is lacking in your office. Have a plan first and foremost. Discussion is where action begins. Once you have a plan you can go to the next level and discuss it with them. Don't back down and get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away. Be persistent. Change is inevitable so why not bring about a good one, like flex time for all workers.

We, women, we already know we are a powerful group. A force to be reckoned with. We shouldn't listen to those articles that keep cranking out on how we just "vote the way our husbands" do and start demanding (again) that we have needs in the workforce and in society that ARE NOT being met. Childcare, Paid maternity leave, flex time, sharing of work schedules, the list goes on and on. What is in place is a step, a step to something better. We haven't reached the peak of what we can do.

I'll get off my soap box now and let you know that in honor of family and fun there will be a BLOG BLAST tomorrow with an incredibly fun giveaway. Think Wiiii....

2 comments:

  1. I had to weigh in again although I already commented yesterday. I'll keep this brief, becasue otherwise i'll go on and on...

    I liked what you asked about what have we done to contribute. We do need to keep the discussion going, and I think getting men involved is key. When EVERYONE can take time off to raise a family, men as well as women, it will also change how we view work and the typical work week.

    In my last firm, when some of the younger men started using flextime to help look after children, it became much more acceptable overnight. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Men need to be more involved. It is was real interesting to me that my husband (who was in the military when our daughter was born) got leave for that yet some women have to quit work for maternity leave. When men in my office asked for leave they were denied. A big corporation was behind the "archaic" military? Hm...

    I think that families as a whole need to start demanding more. More from their jobs, community, local and national government.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.