Tuesday, February 20, 2007

This Writer's Life

It's no surprise that working from home is a daily and sometimes minute by minute juggle. Each day I wake up with an idea in my head as to what I want and need to accomplish. I make lists. Endless lists somedays. Those are the dangerous days. When more than one list has cropped up at various locations around the house I know I have too much going on. It doesn't stop me though, I just pile them on top of each other and hope for peace. Ha.

A typical day runs through like this:

7:30 a.m. The czar awakens. I'm usually up before this, though sometimes by only mere miliseconds. Other days I've already got my shit together and have at least thrown out the trash or started a load of laundry. Sometimes I've eaten Gasp written something.

8 a.m. T.D. has breakfast and so do I. The radio is blaring some NPR junk in the kitchen, I'm skipping around the dog and toy obstacles while dodging cheerios or a banana piece or two. We do a bit of clean up and the wild countdown to daycare time at the gym begins. At this point I usually run around the house getting ready for the gym, getting T.D. ready and hoping against hope that nothing derails me from this much needed "me" time. It's a 50/50 average I have to say.

9 a.m. (IF THINGS GO ACCORDING TO PLAN) Ha Ha! We're at the gym. Time to sweat. I wish daycare opened earlier or the classes I wanted to take didn't start just as my kid begins a massive "I need a nap!" meltdown chant.

WhatevertimitisI'vedecidedtostopsweatingorT.D.getskickedoutoftheplayroom a.m. NAPTIME!!! WHOO HOO!! I silently pray that the dog doesn't spaz out and bark at a leaf for a full five minutes waking up T.D. and I get shower and writing time in. Naptimes are goldmines for working.

The rest of the day is an assault of possible errands, playdates, Tot Thyme (why must kid stuff be spelled wrong? Isn't that the absolute wrong message we are sending their little sponge-like minds?), lunch, snacktime, clean up, cleaning out refried beans with hot sauce out of T.D.'s eyes, some Hausfrau work until the next naptime/worktime.

By the end of the day I think I've run a marathon. Some days like today I drink too much caffiene and not enough water or forget to shower until 5 p.m. Ok, to be fair that only happened once and that was yesterday. I was just so pre-occupied with the three parties I'm hosting this week too. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that? Yup. There will be three parties at my house this week. I swear I need a electro-shock treatment to stop me from saying, YES! I can do that too! Let me just add it to my day planner.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, you still get two naps? You're so lucky!!!

    And three parties? Yowsa! I'm impressed :)


Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.