Thursday, April 30, 2009

I Hired a Village

The arrival of The Comedian and some new work opportunities has made it imperative that I hire someone to look after the wee babes at least once a week. In fact, in just a few short months I've gotten a nice tidy list of sitters at my beck and call, including one that comes on a regular basis each week.

When I set off to work from home two years ago it was all about spending more time with TD and getting a little work done on the side. On the side being nap time, early in the morning and whenever I could grab a moment and compose my thoughts. Now it is nearly impossible to get anything done on a schedule if I don't have someone nearby to corral the tots into that pen, er den of ours, and make them play nice.

After the sitter left Monday morning I realized that not only did I feel refreshed, calmer than I had in weeks and organized, but I felt ready to play with my kids. Our lunch time routine didn't feel frenzied. Having that extra help and time to get into work mode and really work in turn makes me a better mother. I've always believed it takes a village to raise a child but never more so than now when I so often feel tapped out, brain dead and like I have nothing to give to my work or my family.

I wish I had realized this a year ago.

2 comments:

  1. I think I need to hire a village too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! This sounds like a great arrangement.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.