Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day to You & Yours!


Yes, it is Earth Day. I think when I was in high school I wore some giant t-shirt with a globe on it to commemorate the day and that was that. Now that anything green seems to have become Eco-chic we are inundated with ideas on how to go green. It's a bit overwhelming isn't it?

In our house we try to be good stewards of the earth. There is talk of a vegetable garden if we can get our collective butts in gear this spring. We recycle all we can. We reuse goods and try not to buy new if we can find an alternative. In the past year we've implemented a few other changes too.


We got rid of paper napkins. It was easier than I thought it would be. I bought two twelve packs at Bed, Bath & Beyond and voila! No more paper! My mother said, "Oh! You don't have to use cloth napkins just because I'm here.." I quickly set her straight. Here is another alternative.

T.D. has the most sensitive skin and I clearly do too. We have done away with a lot of harsh and synthetic products in our house this year. Even our guest bathroom got a green makeover. We've noticed a real difference in how we look and feel.


We've discovered the joys of simplicity and less waste in all of this and it has made an impact on our family as a whole. We seem to appreciate more and think things through instead of going on impulse so much. By doing the three R's we are learning day by day and seeing a difference in our lives for the better.

It's not hard to implement and you don't have to overhaul your life. It takes a bit of practice but it's fun to green your world. Now I'm off my recycled soap box and I ask you-

What do you do in your house that helps Mother Earth?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:11 PM

    We did the cloth napkin thing too. A very simple switch! Same for dish towels vs. paper towels and washing in cold water.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.