Monday, October 23, 2006

Back! By Popular Demand- It's the Question of the Week!

Like the title says- it's back!

Recently there have been som stories circulating in the news about tag and touch football being banned. Kids and adults alike get sick easier for longer periods of times because we are simply too clean. It's nuts I tell you, nuts!

What kind of world do we live in that we take our young tots to see Kill Bill volumes I & II but we freak out if they want to play outside in the mud? A freakish bizzaro world I want no part of. But that's just me.

Sometimes I feel that the way H and I feel about these issues makes us freaks. Then, I head over to Suburban Turmoil (see sidebar) and read last week's post about her parenting skillz and well, I feel somewhat normal again. So my question of the week is this:

If you are a parent, what types of things do you do that make you feel like maybe not the best parent? Do you let your kids eat food off the floor? Do they play in the rain? Is your four year old still using a bottle? Have no shame and fill me in.

Don't worry if you are not a parent- feel free to answer anyway with behaivoral ticks you have the others might find odd.

I let T.D. sweep our floors for us. Sure, the onesie is pure dirt at the end of the day but she's happy. AND my floors are clean. The kid eats Texas Pete I think she'll be fine.

*Remember it's easy to post a comment- just click on the comments button at the end of the post.*

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:57 AM

    I swear in front of my kid. She used to say,"oooo, you swore" now she knows just to leave the room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:53 AM

    We let our boys play pretty much any video game they want. I think my youngest was five when he started playing "Halo". The agreement is, the second we see any kind of aggressive behavior that we think might be related to the game playing, we will take the games away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I feel compelled to answer this...yet I can't. My comment would be pages long. How about I start with what I've done today to make me feel like not the best parent?

    This morning I yelled at my daughter. She's nine and was acting like a brat. The first words out of her mouth this morning were her screaching at her brothers because the tv was on in their room. TV before school is against the rules in our house - but my six year old woke up at 4:30 this morning from a nightmare - and rather than have him use me as his punching bag while he rolled around in my bed, I allowed him to turn on his tv to distract him from the lingering fear from his bad dream. So, when my daughter yelled at them, I yelled at her. Great example, I make, huh? So, that's two things this morning before work alone:

    1.) Instead of cuddling my 6yo after his nightmare, I sent him back to the comfort of his tv so that I might sleep better

    2.) I yelled at my daughter for yelling.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.