Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Product of the Week!

Today I heard something disturbing. It didn't surprise me, only saddened me more than I can say. In a recent survey it was found that only 40% of the U.S. population could name the three branches of the government. But the remaining 60% could name all three of the Stooges. Lovely. I feel so proud. I hate when I see those "man on the street" interviews that Leno or Conan do that ask typical U.S. citizens third grade level U.S. history questions and they get them horrifingly wrong. It's so embarrassing. I cringe. Not just because I was a U.S. History major but because it's elementary stuff. Things we SHOULD know.

Recently I saw one of those interviews where they asked high school students questions like: Who is Abraham Lincoln? Not one, I repeat, not one of the ten students shown could answer that question. WHAT?! This to me is actually inexcusable. This stuff should be drilled into our heads. It's basic knowledge of our country. Geez. Enough of my rant but seriously folks this is pathetic. I also hate the Three Stooges (Moe, Larry and Curly- are you happy?). I'm more of a Marx Bros. type girl.

So the product of the week is this: Buy a copy of Newsweek or Time. Check a history book out of the library or go on line and learn about the state you live in or are from. Something! I refuse to believe that my readers are in this 60%.

P.S. Legislative, Judicial and Executive.


  1. Lincoln...hmmmm...Oh! I know! The inventor of Lincoln Logs! You should buy some for Reagan.

    LOL Of course you know I know who Lincoln was! In fact, my grandmother has traced our ancestry back far enough to find out that our family is related to Dr. Mudd, who treated John Wilkes Booth for his gunshot wound after he shot Lincoln. How's that for impressive? I even know who shot Lincoln at the Theater. (and where!) Do I get a prize?

  2. And they allow everyone to vote. Huh. Well, I guess we get what we deserve.


Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.