Monday, February 01, 2010

The Non-Drinkers Club

Last month I proposed a thirty day challenge of sorts.  No sugar and no alcohol for the entire month of January.  H was first on the bandwagon and then a few fine bloggers decided to join me on this crazy train. I wanted to see if eliminating sugar and drinking from my diet would improve my workouts, help me lose a few pounds and generally change the way I felt internally.  Essentially it was a month long cleanse.  H decided to go all balls to the wall insane though and throw in the "no fried food" thing too. 

Egads.

What started out easy peasy with me just desiring sugar and even dreaming of it became a nightmare.  I thought it would be hard to get rid of the alcohol, I mean what is bath time without wine?  I cook with wine so why not pour a glass during the process too?  Girls night without the cocktails?  For shame!  Yeah, well I got all good and knocked up so taking out the drinky drinky ended up being remarkably simple.  The sugar/ no fried food thing. Um. Not so much.

Seems the only thing this fetus and my disgustingly vomitous stomach wants these days is fried food and sugar.  I held out for two weeks.  Two miserable, literally gut-wrenching, stomach heaving, 24/7 nausea until one day I just said, "Screw it!" When I was pregnant with The Comedian the only thing that helped my morning sickness was grease.  A trip to McDonald's for a sausage biscuit was on point.  Then I would hit the gym and feel great for a few hours.  It worked this time too.  So did drinking Tang, sugar-laden iced tea mix and Coke.  Potato chips, french fries and pizza became my go-to foods.  My ass and thighs already regret this, but when it is the only thing you can keep down and count on to help you make it through the day so be it. 

So while I get a big ol' FAIL on this challenge, H survived, looks leaner because of it and has felt better too. I know I can do it, I've done it in the past.  I'll do it again later.  I'm sure once I pop this kid out I'll be Jillian's bitch again for quite some time.  There are more 5k's and 10k's in my future too.  For now, I have to be content in just incubating this new baby and accepting whatever it is that makes me feel better, even if it is in the form of four Awful, Awful's a day.

2 comments:

  1. You know I also cut out caffeine and alcohol completely. After just two weeks, my blood pressure went from borderline high to amazingly, perfectly healthy. It's making me realize that once this little 9-month science experiment is over I shouldn't go back to my previous consumption rates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I was with Savannah too. Early on, the only things I could tolerate were instant mashed potatoes with butter and salt, and McDonald's chicken nuggets and fries. And soda. Ugh. Hopefully the nausea passes quickly and you can get back on somewhat track...but it IS so hard to always eat healthy when you're pregnant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.