Thursday, December 03, 2009

Rudolph Gets the Axe

The holiday season is upon us.  Cards are arriving in the mailbox, we have broken out the advent wreath, candles and calendar.  I'm dreaming of not just a white Christmas and sugar plum fairies but homemade marshmallows, snickerdoodles, fudge, peppermint bark....mmm peppermint bark...marshmallow goodness...

Wait. Where was I?  I was busy wiping my saliva off my keyboard before I shorted out my laptop.

I truly love this time of year for quite a few reasons.  I like shopping, I like giving, the songs, that special glow from the lights.  Home Alone.  The Muppet Christmas Carol.  Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas.  I love them all.  They never fail to put me in the mood of the season. 

Notice something missing though? That would be Rudolph.  Don't get me wrong. As a kid I was convinced that those red lights on the high electrical towers that ran along I-95 just had to be Rudolph making the early Christmas rounds.  But those 1960s specials they replay ad nauseum each December make me feel all stabby. I want to claw my eyes out and smash the TV. With an axe.  A special Christmas axe.  Yes, indeed Virginia, Rudolph and the Abomidable Snowman make me violent.  Like Jack in 'The Shining' violent. The holidays are stressful enough. I don't need to wreck it with my twisted tendencies.  I cannot be the only one who loathes these specials. Right?

Tell me internets that I am not alone on this one.  Can we form a club, perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. awww... Rudolph is probably my favorite. I read that the creators are in a lawsuit because while it's been played to death, Sony has thrived from the marketing and didn't pass on the profits to Rankin-Bass. If you truly hate those specials maybe that will bring a smile.

    It just makes me not like Sony.

    There are plenty of Christmas things that make me stabby, but they are more along the lines of seeing books like "Christmas in Yo Gabba Land." WTF?

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Vicky but I love them.... but the fact that they are overplayed annoys me. I try to get my nieces and nephews over to help decorate my tree then we watch them and have hot chocolate....it's sort of a tradition. Althoughthey are all getting older now so not sure how long it will last!
    <3 ya, Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.