Monday, November 30, 2009

The Chateau Whinery

If you see me with my shoulders hunched up, gritting my teeth and only smiling during my thirty second vacation, it is probably due to the fact that I live with "Wendy the Whiner".

Holy hell. The three's. Are they over yet?

I had to laugh when I read this post (it is A LOT like possession) because this last year has been tough. Really tough. I feel like I'm climbing Mt. Everest and my boots have no spikes. It's all uphill ice and I keep slipping back to base camp one. No matter what "techniques" we employ the whining continues.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves." No, not really but that quote runs through my head and H's more often than not.

It's not just whining when she doesn't get her way, which I understand is frustrating. Trust me, I would like nothing more than to go out to run the bazillion and one holiday errands and gift shopping I have to do and not do it on a Saturday when everyone else is out there. That makes me want to whine. And cry, then slump into a crumpled and defeated heap. It's that she whines no matter what. Then immediately acts like she's been shot, has a deflated lung (that half body sag that kids are prone to) and goes all out into a massive flailing limb tantrum. Sometimes I wonder if she has a secret stash of PCP lying around somewhere. It's that bad.

The whining- in the store, at home- no room is safe from the whining, the car, restaurants, public restrooms. It is as if every place in the world has a free to whine zone. No roaming fees apply.

Everyone told me to watch out for the three's. We can't say we didn't know it was coming. Alright, we can. We had no idea our cute, funny toddler would be like this. No matter what we do, what we give her, how much patience and time we give her, it is never enough. It is not right. It is as if we are physically hurting her and I hate to say this and admit to it. I'm not even sure H would cop to this, but sometimes I don't like her. I don't want to be around her. I'm sick of her. I have strings of days where she has worn me down to such a small bit I just can't handle her for one more minute. It makes me feel awful and reduces me to tears.

I miss my sweet, funny girl. I want to enjoy her and take her places. I want to read stories and sing songs without complaining and that whine. I want to have fun with her. To enjoy watching her grow as a child. This whining thing? It is making is incredibly tough to do these things. It as if we are stuck on repeat every day.

1 comment:

  1. We so totally have the same problem. Though with my 3 year old boy, I have employed the "ask a questions after the whining commences" tactic. the question is important.

    Usually, his whining is FOR something: starting with the words "I want...". Even if it doesn't, the first thing out of my mouth, interrupting all that whining is "what does mommy want?"

    The answer, which we beat (not really) into him is this "no whining". And he DOES answer my question with this answer. Every. Time. :) Strangers in stores get a kick out of it, but it works... :)

    good luck with all the whining.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.