Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Trash the Dress Baby! Just trash it!

Tomorrow I will be participating in Trash the Dress. I cannot tell you how excited I am.

What is it?

Quite simply it is a photographer project where they take photos of women destroying their wedding dresses or other fancy attire. See I seem to have an extensive collection of bridesmaid dresses and military ball gowns that quite frankly need to be done away with. I could just donate them like I have in the past to such charities as The Glass Slipper Foundation or to Ugly Dress. Except none of these dresses are ugly. Not even the kiwi colored one if you can believe it. So when I was asked by a local photographer to take some time to get down and dirty, traipse through the various terrains of local graveyards, dried out riverbeds and lay down in some leafy trails I jumped at it.

Yes, it will be cold. Possibly freezing and rainy. I will be wearing my chucks to ensure comfort and I might even rub some dirty leaves on myself and get T.D. in the mix. Too bad she doesn't have some cute flower girl dress to destroy. Because these dresses will be destroyed. Sorry Jen, Dawn and Macy's. Sorry. It's time. The dresses must go. There is no more room in the closet or my heart for them. The dresses must be trashed and what better way than by smearing them with mud, ripping them on some rocks and just plain ripping them.

Toodles poufy kiwi skirt with a butt bustles and trailing ends. So long beaded halter with the gauzy black finish. Adios empire waisted red satin gown complete with rhinestones. I actually did hate you if I must confess. You were the ugliest of the lot that is left. Too bad I no longer posses the flesh colored gown I paid $300 to wear a few years back I would have gone into a swamp to kick that ones ass. All that money. All those alterations. All in the name of friendship and joyous good times. But it's in reality just a dress and the memories are in my minds eye and countless photographs. Possessed by many people. Augh. That flesh colored dress....

Can you tell I'm excited to brave the wet fall elements and just do this thing? What could be more fitting? I can think of nothing besides lighting them on fire or yes, donating them. I'll post pictures as soon as possible so you can see how much I am willing to subject myself to in the name of art.

4 comments:

  1. ahhh, the flesh colored dress. I think I still have mine... If I had known, I would have sent it your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like way too much fun!
    Rock on, hope you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:35 PM

    I must see these photos... what a great idea!
    I hope you had a TON of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.