Thursday, April 12, 2007

Nice Work if You Can Get It

I'm feeling a little restless today. I had another one of my fun dreams where it's all gnarled black licorice-like trees and heinous red lighting. I swear they can be like a bad 70's horror flick at times. The lack of spring weather, the chronic indigestion and the inexplicable way I just burst into tears all adds up to a very bizarre feeling day. I swear if I didn't know any better I would think I was pregnant again.

It's odd, I have plenty of work to do, but I can't quiet my mind long enough to actually concentrate and put words to paper. I keep looking out the window as if something is going to happen. After a morning of baking cookies for my Avon bake sale this weekend I decided T.D. and I had to get out of the house. The gloominess outside wasn't daunting enough and I loaded her into the stroller.

Once we got out there though I couldn't even stay still on my Ipod. I just kept skipping around. No Kanye, no Christina. No Diana Krall or White Stripes. Minor Threat, Rollins, disco tunes, or Weezer was cutting it. My old stand by songs were just making me more frustrated too. Then some Lady Day began to play. Her voice, the sound of music, the actual grayness of the day all fit and finally put my mind at ease. That and T.D. passed out in the stroller ceasing her fussing. I just strolled along as Billy Holiday and I took a walk and listened to the beat, beat, beat of the drum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It's always good to hear from a reader and not say, a robot.